Thinking about signing your child up for music lessons? Private lessons, or lessons at school? Think again! Don’t get me wrong – I am all for kids learning music. I am all for kids taking music lessons. But, if any of these reasons apply, you might need to rethink your plans.
1. Do NOT sign your child for music lessons just to fill up his after-school activity calendar.
You know how it goes – Monday: full; Tuesday: 3:30-Chess Club, 4:30-karate class, 5:30-hmmm, don’t have anything scheduled there, let’s see…piano lessons, that’s it.
2. Do NOT enroll your child in music lessons if you, the parent, have no interest or desire for your child to actually practice.
I had a lady tell me once that when her daughter was young she signed up for French horn lessons. The mother couldn’t stand to listen to her practice, so she would tell the girl how wonderful she sounded, and that she didn’t need to practice anymore. Needless to say the girl did not continue with music for very long at all.
3. Do NOT sign your child up for music lessons if you do not intend to make sure she shows up prepared for her lesson each week.
That means that you (parent!) have to be sure she has a reliable way to get to the lesson, that she brings her music with her, that she brings her instrument, and that she has practiced at least some during the week.
4. Also, do NOT start music lessons if you aren’t willing or able to provide an instrument for your child to practice on.
Hey, I know instruments can be crazy expensive, but there are ways to reduce some of the expense. Rent an instrument. Buy a used (functional) instrument, look for listings for free pianos. Give your child a chance! Supply him with a functional instrument.
5. Finally, do NOT enroll your child in music lessons if you have no interest in long-term commitment.
Just like sports, music is not mastered in a semester, not even a year! Be willing to commit to a long-term process and stick with it! Don’t let your child quit the first time he faces a challenge. Persevere!!!!
Have anything to add to my list? I would love to hear your comments! Be sure to check back next week for Reasons Why Your Child SHOULD Take Music Lessons.
And check back in a couple days for some info on music history and some music theory basics!